Will the same degree be granted at SUNY Korea as Stony Brook?
Yes, SUNY Korea graduates will receive an identical SUNY degree to one that is awarded in the US.
Is the application procedure the same as that of Stony Brook?
Yes, it is the same, but you may be required to submit some documents that may be different.
Where does my application review take place?
Your application will be reviewed by the Program's Admission Committee at Stony Brook.
Do I have to fill out the entire application in one sitting?
No, the Online Application is interactive. You can create an account, save your answers, and return to your application as often as you like. Until you click the Submit button, you can change what you have saved.
What if I am applying to more than one program? Do I have to fill out two applications and pay application fees for two programs?
Yes, and you have to make sure to send two sets of all of your required supplementary documents to both departments as well.
What if I applied to Stony Brook in the past, submitted an application, and want to apply again?
If you applied to a program within the last twelve months, please contact the Graduate Program to which you applied. If you're applying to a different program, please create a new account and submit a new application.
What is the application fee?
A non-refundable application fee of $100 will be charged for your application. Online applicants must pay by credit card. You will be given a prompt when you submit your application online to provide your credit card information.
How do I find out the status of my application? How do I find out if all my supporting documents have been received?
Please contact your Graduate Program Coordinator who will be able to inform you if they have received all of your supporting documents and if there is anything missing from your file. Your Graduate Program Coordinator will be able to let you know if the department admissions committee has reviewed your application and if a decision has been made.
What constitutes an official, final transcript?
Official transcripts are valid when they are issued by the school you attended. They have an official seal/stamp and an official signature by an appropriate academic administrative officer. They are sealed by the university. Photocopied documents are NOT official. Final transcripts state that a degree has been conferred and provide the date of conferral. A provisional certificate, therefore, is not final, but temporary.
Do I have to have my transcript translated if it is not in English?
Yes, academic records from international universities that are not in English must be accompanied by an official English translation. Academic records must be translated by an accredited, objective party.
My transcript only contains the marks that I received. This is adequate to show I earned a degree, right?
No. If your official transcript (or mark sheet) does not specifically state that a bachelor's degree (or its equivalent) has been conferred, you will also need to submit an official (attested) diploma or an official certification of degree(s) awarded.
What if I haven't received my degree yet, but will have earned it by the time I would like to start graduate school?
If you are in the process of completing a degree, please send an official transcript that shows your progress to this point. You will need to send a final, official transcript once your degree is conferred. Transcripts that do not show a degree awarded will not delay the application process, but failure to submit final documentation about conferral will result in a registration block.
What if I went to a college, but did not graduate? What if I just took classes there?
Applicants are required to submit transcripts from all institutions attended, regardless of whether a degree was earned.
Do I have to send original transcripts from my university? I come from an international school, and my school only issues one official copy of my transcript. Is it okay to send photocopies of my transcript, and only submit the originals after I am accepted?
No. While many international schools only issue one diploma, it is not true that they will only issue one transcript (mark sheet, generally with the degree posted). Stony Brook University will not review any student applications without original transcripts from a student's university. This is a State University of New York mandate, and no exceptions can be made.
Can the person who is recommending me send a paper recommendation?
If your referees do not wish to submit their recommendations online, please provide them with the paper recommendation form that can be downloaded from the online system. Paper recommendations must be sent directly to the graduate program you are applying to in sealed envelopes, signed across the seal by the recommender.
Where do I find recommendation forms to give to my recommenders? I can't find them on your website.

In order to gain access to our recommendation forms, you must start an online account. Once on our online system, you can either send emails directing your recommenders to submit a recommendation to the online system itself, or download a paper recommendation form from the system and give it to your recommender.

Paper recommendations must be sent directly to the graduate program you are applying to in sealed envelopes, signed across the seal by the recommender.

Where can I find out more about the program?
The best way to learn more about our program is to attend one of our online information sessions and virtual open houses. To sign up for such a session please visit the Open House resistration page. There is also a wealth of information on SUNY Korea and the SUNY Korea computer science program including curriculum, faculty, and research labs.
Do I need to speak Korean to attend SUNY Korea?
No, the official language at SUNY Korea is English. All courses, seminars, and meetings are conducted in English and all students, faculty, and staff speak English fluently. In fact, all faculty members at the SUNY Korea computer science department have doctorates from the US and Canada. The campus population is highly international. Faculty as well as students come from all over the world – Europe, USA, China, India, Vietnam, Japan, just to name a few. But even though you do not need to speak Korean, you will like the friendly and fast-paced Korean atmosphere.
How about housing and dining - is it expensive?
No not at all. This is one of the great advantages of SUNY Korea. In contrast to New York, housing and dining is very inexpensive at SUNY Korea. Yet, both cafeteria and student dorms reside in brand new facilities and are conveniently located right on campus. The housing rates themselves are extremely affordable: $1,500 per semester for single occupancy and $950 per semester for double occupancy. Please visit the Campus Life page for more information.

For MS students

How much time does it take to obtain the MS degree?
Customarily, our Master's program is for two years, but many students finish the program in less than two years.
Once I have gained my MS degree can I pursue practical industry training in the US?
Yes, this is possible if you engage in a special MS option at SUNY Korea. Given appropriate academic standing, enrolled MS students will have the opportunity to pursue one year of their studies at SUNY Korea and the second year at Stony Brook, NY. According to current US immigration regulations all such students are eligible for the optional practical training in the form of a job or internship in the US for a period of one year after the successful completion of the degree program.
Can I receive financial support?
Full and partial financial support is available in form of Teaching and Research Assistantships, until the positions are filled. Similar to most US universities, the former is contingent on passing the Speak test administered at the beginning of the first semester. Research Assistantships are offered from a research lab or a faculty member with research grants. Students find such research-funded support after they become familiar with the various projects in our Department and on Campus. Finally, MS students may also be able to intern or work on a project with a company during the breaks and/or during the semester, which can provide unparalleled experience and source of funding.